Monday, September 17, 2012

To Thine Own Self Be True

So okay.... I've been having a serious debate with myself over the past couple of weeks regarding whether or not I should delete my Facebook account. It seems to have become a vehicle for people to market their goods and to impress on others how frickin', utterly fabulous they are. I'll be the first to admit, in the past, I've been guilty of using it to market my business. In retrospect, while it garnered me lots of business it also probably annoyed the shit out many of my friends. My bad. Unfortunately, it has become so inundated with self-indulgent crap that it is barely recognizable as the site it used to be. A site for people to connect & reconnect. For instance, take my "friend" (& I use the term loosely) we'll call her Janine. Janine is a nice enough, albeit very shallow and dare I say uneducated woman. Not the smartest cookie in the jar and as fake as a set of solar nails. She inevitably mispells at least one word in every post and she constantly extolls what a fantastic, benevolent "leader" she is. Problem is Janine has a tendency to not show up when she's supposed to,take all the credit even when she doesn't deserve it, and wouldn't know how to lead if her life depended on it. I dare say, I know a ton of people who would love to "lead" Janine to the edge of a cliff and watch her fly....because she's special...and she knows much more about life and every situation than we do...and she cares...Urghhh!!! and she's a phony. So... to Facebook or not to Facebook that is the question. I'm sure I'll keep my account, mainly in order to keep up with the people I'm genuinely interested in. Someone said to just "unfriend" the people I don't like. Hmmm.....tempting, until I realize that I've somehow accumulated over 1200 "friends", many of them just like Janine. The thought of going through and deleting them one by one is daunting but somehow profoundly cathartic. So here's to the future. A future with a lot less "friends". Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true". Here's to you and all my other fake friends Janine! One, two, three fly! Now I feel better.

No comments: